A recipe for extracting URLs from Youtube comments
This recipe shows how to collect comments from a Youtube video with (YouTube Data Tools)and then extract URLs into a clean list (with DMI Harvester) for further analysis.
This recipe can be used starting from one or more Youtube video links for which you want to analyze comments.
- Go to YouTube Data Tools and select the Video Info and Comments Module
- Open a video on Youtube and copy the Video Id. Video Ids can be found in URLs
- Copy and paste the Video Id into the Video id box
- Leave empty the “Limit to” box (if you want to retrieve all comments)
- Launch the tool
- The tool generates different files. Download the one ending with “comments.tab”. This file contains all comments.
- Open the file with a Text editor of your choice
- Select everything and copy it
- Go to the DMI Harvester
- Paste the text of the whole comments into the box
- If you want to limit the analysis to the hosts, you can select the “Only return host names” option
- Check the option “Add “http:// if missing from url” to homogenize URLs
- Click Harvest URLs to start
- When finished, you can find a .csv in the Output section at the top of the interface
- Download the .csv (you can now import it into a spreadsheet software)